Saturday, June 6, 2009

Lifeboat, stage 3 - work in progress by Jeff

Getting close to the end! Well, kind of. You can see that I use a pretty haphazard approach to how I treat each tile as I paint. It takes me a while to get into the rhythm of the painting, and decide where to concentrate my initial efforts. It became clear pretty early on that I needed to focus on the whites, and all the subtle tones that are represented by that.

I also put a lot into the water, which was very satisfying. That crazy, deep blue may seem unrealistic to you, unless you've seen it in real life! When I was a kid I always wondered why water was represented by blue in illustrations. Now I know! If you haven't been out to the deep blue sea in a boat and seen that water for yourself, you really ought to go find yourself a boat.

2 comments:

  1. This is brilliant. I can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Agreed about the water and sky. I remember when I first visited Bora Bora, flying in a tiny puddle jumper over the island before landing, so close to the ocean below, and I kept blinking and squinting thinking it was the jetlag making my eyes see the water as so brilliantly blue an turquoise. But, no. It was real. Amazing, isn't it??

    ReplyDelete