Wednesday, October 21, 2009

All Aboard - by Leslie

This painting of a small, silver goblet depicts the upper deck of the MS Holiday in its reflection. I cruised on the Holiday back in May. She is a small ship and is being sold to a Spanish cruise line this month. The sugar bowl is on the ship's railing and you can see a crew member in the distance who I had to stop from removing it before I could take the picture. He was very apologetic, but also very confused about why this crazy lady was taking picture of silver tableware sitting around the ship! I return again to a rule that I once read that states you should never paint anything in reflections that you can't see in the rest of the painting. I have never been a good rule-follower. The reflections offer an opportunity to see the world in a different way. How else can a painting of a goblet bring forth memories of a hot Caribbean day on deck? I am dedicating this series of paintings to the MS Holiday, and all the people who love her.



Bid on this painting on eBay...

No comments:

Post a Comment