Monday, May 25, 2009

Lifeboat - work in progress by Jeff

If you read Neil Hollingsworth's blog (and who doesn't?) then you probably know that Leslie and I recently went with Neil and Karen on a cruise to Key West. Though Neil made it clear in his blog post that he and Karen were there to NOT work, I just couldn't help but scope out some possibilities for paintings. The structure of the ship fit right in with my industrial aesthetic, and I found myself particularly drawn to the lifeboat assemblies, just full of cool lines and cranes and pulleys. This image represents my initial sketch, done in black ink with a Japanese brush pen. I added white highlights with a watercolor pencil. My next step will be to add a partially transparent light toned glaze of oil paint and Galkyd.


48" x 36"

2 comments: