Saturday, May 23, 2009

Reflection of the Studio - by Leslie

At first glance this appears to be a painting of a silver cream pitcher, and that it is. But it is also a painting of my studio. I love the way the room is reflected and distorted in the with the curves in the pitcher and the way the warm wood floor and furniture looks reflected in the silver. If you look closely you can see both Jeff and me working in there. I once read that you should never paint stuff in your reflections that can't be seen elsewhere in the painting. Call me a rebel, but I think that the distorted forms in those reflections is what makes these types of paintings fascinating to paint and to look at. And this one in particular gives a little peek into the way that we work and live (and how cluttered our little studio really is!)



9" x 12" oil on canvas

No comments:

Post a Comment